At what point can I assign a serial number to a part?
System assigned serial numbers occur at:
- The time of receiving – this can be turned on or off.
- The time of work order/traveler creation – this can be turned on or off.
- If the job requires five, then the system will auto-generate five unique serial numbers
- Shop users in MES will then put the product away after the operation/operations are completed.Later, the picker will pull the product from stock and be presented a screen that shows the five generated serial numbers and decide on which ones they’re pulling
– Typically, the serial number would be labeled/tagged or, perhaps, stenciled on the part itself.
– So, the picker is comparing the physical serial numbers to the list of five serial number choices in order to decide which one(s) are being pulled.
Both are driven based on whether the part record serialization checkbox is flagged or not, or if the serial “mask” format is selected on the part record.